Friday, September 14, 2012

DIY: Peace in times of change

Between my friends and me, we've experienced huge changes this year. A few have had weddings, funerals, divorces, home purchases, and financial crises. I've completed a five-year study goal. Each of us is trying to find equilibrium and inner peace in these fluctuating circumstances.

check out Doug's hilarious website:
www.savagechickens.com

Where do we look for balance? Is it to ourselves? To others? To pop-advice gurus? (DIY books abound in recognition than we can change no one but ourselves.) Or do we seek God's wisdom and insights?

After summer, I promised myself that I'd clear my office of dissertation flutter. I still need reference books for two presentations. But all those papers? I made origami of some, filed others, and binned the rest. Check out the before and in-process after the big dissertation desk was removed and its drawers emptied... everywhere.

 I know. I know. But look at it now!

Sitting desk, current files, and dog bed
The room is not perfect: I'm NOT a perfectionist and I've studied, exercised and written in the space for a few days. I can see my artwork. Everything has its place. Whew. (Mom, you were also correct about "clean your room!")

The study was symbolic for me. I had to wrap up a part of life that I was leaving behind for a new season. The rest of the house is waiting for renewal and I'll tackle it this fall between other obligations.
Standing desk (with high chair option), files

How do we find rest and peace in times of change? How do we get from before to after? Through a mess? Into the future - with our sanity intact? Here are some suggestions:
  1. Evaluate what is important. Note what you are keeping and what you have learned from the past.
  2. Think about the day. What is facing you today? Do you have friends and family who will support the day? If not, find a church family and begin the journey in community. "Everything costs something," according to my mom. It takes time and effort to find support systems.
  3. Tackle what you can change now. Don't procrastinate because you're waiting for someone else or life to change.
  4. Invest in tomorrow. Need devotional time to hear from God? To plan out some goals for the year ahead? Desperate for organizational help? Looking for storage for summer clothes and the bbq as fall approaches? Do you need marriage counseling? Or to spend time with your kids to talk to them about their walk of faith? 
  5. Be content in the moment. God has made you "YOU" and placed you in this day. He will help you walk through the challenges and opportunities of the moment and the future, whether circumstances come through our choices or the decisions of others.
 Read more:
*Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him. Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other. Psalm 85:9,10 

*The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him. Nahum 1:7 NIV

*Therefore, beloved, while you are waiting for these things, strive to be found by him at peace, without spot or blemish. 2 Peter 3:14


Moravian Prayer: You are our salvation, righteousness and peace, O Christ. While we await your coming, fulfill in us your holiness so others may see and know that you are God. The time is now for faith and a holy fear that binds us resolutely to you. O spotless Lamb, take away the sin in us as you have taken away the sin of the world. Amen.
 

1 comment: